Tuesday 22 November 2011

My massive Christmas cake!!

Soooo.... It's that wonderful time of year again and the smell of Christmas is in the air... well it is in my house anyway coz I've just put my massive Christmas cake in the oven :0) as we don't have smellevision (yet) I shall describe to you what you would smell if you were sitting here with me now cup of coffee in hand and feet up on the sofa in my living room: so, you all know what mixed spice and nutmeg smell like yes? Well add to that some deliciously plump fruit and candied peel with plenty of soft brown sugar and almonds and lashings of White Rum and Whisky all warmed and mixed together and there you have it... a sweet smelling reminder that the fat guy in the red suit will soon be sweeping across the globe, reins in hand with mountains of toys and treats in tow. Ahhh what a joyous thought. We all still BELIEVE right?? Of course we do.

So here is my Christmas cake in the making:




Two of the main ingredients...No, not the mixed fruit and cherries... the Rum and the Whisky...hic!!



Now here I wondered how the heck am I going to get all that fruit into that bowl and mix it??...



.... it just about fits ;o) where there is a will there is a way!



This is a 10" tin that I double layered with baking parchment.



and probably the trickiest part of all was to wrap the whole tin with a protective layer of brown paper, trying to tie the string in a knot and keep the paper wrapped tightly WITHOUT dropping the whole thing was difficult, thank goodness I didn't drop it, I'd have cried all week!!!



So, this baby is in the oven for at least 5 hours. Over the next week or two I'll be adding the marzipan and royal icing. I'll be back with more pics soon as it's done :o)

Thanks for reading guys, I hope you're all well xx jo xx

7 comments:

  1. you're going to hate me for saying this but I cannot stand Christmas cake or Christmas pudding, I find them both revolting lol give me chocolate cake anyday ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha I must admit I used to hate both Christmas cake and Christmas pudding too, I still don't care much for Christmas Pud but my Mums home made Christmas cake has won me over, although it's the marzipan and icing that make it for me, without those I wouldn't touch the cake :o) I have to say I'm rather partial to a nibble of choc cake from Starbucks mmmmmm. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh that is the biggest cake I have seen not wedding.I am positive it will taste as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the biggest ingredient in there is love! :-} starting to get excited here!!

    HUGS Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey lady!! have you disappeared again? I hope you are ok hun?

    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot bake if my life depended on it... this looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete